When the alluring scents of Durban curry waft through the air, you’re likely to be seduced by the potent duo of ginger and garlic. This harmonious pair forms the backbone of Durban curry, infusing the dish with an intoxicating aroma and a depth of flavor that is hard to resist.
In the world of Durban curry, ginger and garlic paste is not just an ingredient, but a culinary secret weapon. With its powerful punch and distinctive flavor, it can transform any curry from ordinary to extraordinary.
Whilst it is possible to buy ginger & garlic paste, that is as good as homemade, it is almost always better to make it yourself from fresh ginger & garlic, than to use the store bought products that are sometimes diluted with onion and use low quality ingredients.
But what makes homemade ginger and garlic paste so special? The secret lies in its freshness. While store-bought versions may offer convenience, nothing can beat the fresh, vibrant flavors of homemade paste. It adds an extra layer of aroma and taste that can make your curry stand out, even if you’re using a similar recipe and technique as others. This might be why when you visit someone, their curry just smells better than yours.
So, don’t get left behind. It’s time to unravel the secret of making your own ginger and garlic paste for Durban curry:
- Ginger, peeled and chopped: 500 grams
- Garlic, peeled and chopped: 250 grams
Add below as optional to add an extra punch of flavour
- Green Chillies, chopped: 1-3 (keep seeds if you want it hot)
- Curry Leaves: 2 sprigs
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Water: as required
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Blend them together, adding small amounts of water as required to achieve your preferred texture.
- Store your freshly made paste in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 2 months, or freeze it for up to six months.
This homemade ginger and garlic paste will not only enhance the flavor of your Durban curry, but it will also bring a touch of authenticity to your kitchen. So, why not give it a try? Unleash the flavors of Durban in your own home and let the magic of ginger and garlic paste transform your curry.